Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Employed!!!!!!!!!!

The placement season has almost come to a conclusion. After lakhs of gpls n cpls (kgp lingo) I have finally managed to get placed.That’s some big grand news.I got employed in a software product based firm called Six Dee Technologies. The package is six lakhs. WOW!! That’s huge, atleast to a engg fresher like me. After 5 years of engineering studies, getting a good job was my topmost priority. I think I have finally achieved that. After months of struggle and turmoil, there was finally some good news.

The year started on a bad note with my failure in CAT. I got a miserable 97% which was far below my expectation. I wanted to go out of kgp with a bang and hence prove my detractors wrong. I wanted to go out being a blacki and having bagged a great job. However, for the first two months of this year, I was really struggling. Due to some amount of bad luck and in some cases my own fault, I could not find any company which was willing to offer me employment. All big guns came and left and I was left to fend for myself.

The last company which I sat for before getting placed was Quest which was way back in January. For the next one and a half month I did not sit for any company. That was a very risky decision, but I was ready to face the worst. Majority of the companies coming at that time were either paying less or their work profile did not interest me. It was really a very mentally taxing situation seeing all your friends and batch mates getting placed whereas I am going to the tnp section day in and day out. Sneers, taunts everything was there for me. It took all my guts and mental toughness to get out of the imbroglio. Only a handful of friends and my parents were supportive of me. At the end even they too had become jittery along with me. I had already given up hope of getting placed from the campus. In such a circumstance I had planned to go to Bangi after passing out and apply to the companies out there. Previously I had said that luck is the sole most important factor in deciding a job. In my case too, luck favoured but not at the right time, just at the fag end of the placement season. Well, beating my own drum…..i would like to say tht Fortune favours the brave.

I did not like coding since my first year….even now I am a bit hesitant to do it. I always loved analytics and the financial sector. Even both my btech as well Mtech project are in analytical domain. I had mentally prepared myself for a job in either Operations or in Analytics. As luck would have it I have now landed up with a good and high paying software job. The company seems to be good, the work interesting, growth opportunity immense and package high. However, it is completely different to what I have been doing for the last 23 yrs of my life. Now it seems I am going to do a lot of coding for the next 2 -3 years. Thats precisely why I always say that “Circumstances maketh a man”.

Kgp life is almost coming to an end. In one sentence “ it was an experience of a lifetime.”
From the next post onwards I shall be sharing my memorable experiences from first year onwards till date.

I am not exactly jubiliant or ecstatic but just relieved that I landed up with a job. It always feels nice to be on the other side of the bridge, even though the bridge might be just a foot long!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations.....and keep the spirits high.....

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's cos of guys like you that the word 'inspiration' still exists.

Reading your post inspired me Debprotim.

Judging by your name, I think you are bengali, and even though I am Tamil, I was born and brought up in Good Ol CaL - so more a bong than anything else.

Bhalo Chalchey Bhai, all the best and keep it going.

---Kartik.

2:01 AM  
Blogger amit said...

cracko.... congo man.... gud show.... really happy fr u... ATB ...

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debprotim,

Congratulations. The first time I stumble upon your blog and you have a such a good news to share!

6D does sound interesting on their website. So, just go ahead and take it by a storm :-)

Nice having been here...
Swati

9:55 AM  
Blogger Vamsi said...

Congrats on the Job dude!!...Nice Pay!! Never heard of the company tho'. Where is it based??

11:51 AM  
Blogger An Unknown Citizen said...

@anonymous
thanx a lot dude! the spirits r really high 4 the last one month or so.

@kartik
wow!
never thought tht any person can be inspired by me.....i was always in search of my own inspiration. It felt nice to know tht my experiences helped to motivate some1. All the best to u too n keep in touch.

@amit
thans a lot man!....life seems to be a lot easier nowadays.
@swati
thanx a lot! Six Dee seems interesting atleast their website does. Lets see if i can storm it or i get blown away in the storm.

@vamsi
thanx man! Yep the pay is nice, but i am little concerned abt the brand name. I have also never heard of this company be4. It is based in Bangi.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Voice said...

i v witnessed all this by real close distance. said many times but i can say it one more time...CONGRATS

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stand your ground and you wouldnt be blown away.... afa the brand name is concerned.... go and make it :-) the next time i hear about 6D, i know whom to go to for all the inside info and coming from an IT recruiter, thats no kidding :-D....

Take care.... and enjoy the attention.... :-)

Swati

12:54 PM  
Blogger An Unknown Citizen said...

@swati

yep, definitely i am going to try to work as hard as possible and thereby contribute to the firm as well as to my own value addition.
U an It recruiter.....whr u based?

6:57 PM  
Blogger An Unknown Citizen said...

@voice
thanx a lot once again!
yep, u have watched all of this frm close quarters ....thanx for all the support n help.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"and thereby contribute to the firm as well as to my own value addition"..... seems like its coming straight out of an HR interview session!!! :-)

me has my mere existence in the city of Pune.....

2:15 PM  
Blogger An Unknown Citizen said...

@swati

Well i have given so many telephonic n personal interviews tht i have become quite habituated to the jargon i use in such cases. But anyways its always nice to speak in tht professional way,u see.
Pune, gr8...one of the best cities to njoy n work. Which comapny r u in?

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pune, most defenitely is one of the best cities :-).....

Am working with UGS - not hopeful of you having heard that name before..... thats why I said - get in there and make a brand out of your company :-)

10:17 AM  
Blogger An Unknown Citizen said...

@Swati......Checked out the site of UGS...are its cool yaar......atleast its an MNC having presence in a lot of countries. It already has a good brand name if u go by the press releases.
Moreover, thr must be many like u who will try to make their own brand name, right?

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey DuDe! there was no mention of the possible career as a "PhD" under the most respected Prof Jhaaaaaaaaaad Maiti that u were contemplating???!!! eee heeeeheheeee.
i loved reading ur post!!

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated congrats again on ur job !!!!.....:)....i admire your courage of waiting for the right company even if it meant getting ridiculed in front of others.....I can say from my own experience that you will need this strength of yours more than ever when you go out into that big bad world which is way different from kgp.....hope you don't lose ur strength, ur perserverance, and the nerves of steel.....

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...it was really nice to see the gradual metamorphosis of the campus study life change to a corporate life style...

Keep up the good work and all the best...

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home