Sunday, January 09, 2005

An Introspection

Classes for the eight semester have just started.
This semester we have a depth subject named " Optimization and Heuristic Methods".
The contents of this course are mainly Genetic Algorithms, Neural Networks,Simulated Anealing
and Data Envelopment Analysis. The main is focus is on Genetic Algorithms. Some of my fellow
classmates have already done a course on Genetic Algorithms. So i guess it would be a cakewalk
for them atleast in the inital stages. Everything the professor taught looked like greek and
latin to me. I expected the same of the other students who were dealing with the subject for
the first time. However to my utter surprise i discovered that this was not the case. They were not only picking up lightning fast but they were also arguing with the prof. When the prof finally decided to call it a day a feeling of despondence had already overtaken me.
On a slight bit of introspection i came across these possibilites.
class
1) The students were really brilliant.Moreover, I am not good enough and hence I was not
being able to grasp the concepts being explained in
2) They had already studied the subject( before coming to the class) so as to impress the prof.

Now knowing the students and the very nature of IITians I can safely rule out the second option.
That leaves us with the first option.
There is no doubt that all the students are exceptionally bright and meritorious.
When one stays in a highly competitive and meritorious environment one often comes across a question ( atleast thats what happens to me). Whether I am good enough to make a mark or in some cases atleast survive among such highly intelligent and motivated people. One's self esteem takes a heavy beating and one starts doubting his own capabilities. This becomes one of the most depressing thoughts which starts troubling one throughout the waking hours. In extreme cases one loses his or her self confidence and then he is doomed.
Under such circumstances loooking back at past achievements might restore one's mood. However for many people the question comes back to haunt you again and again.
I am not impying that I am facing such serious problems but the fact remains that no one can disagree with the fact that atleast once in his lifetime a person faces the ephemeral question
" Am I Good enough?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home